Head of Legal
Our client seeks a Head of Legal to join their team.
Role Profile: The Head of Legal will have oversight for all legal matters, policies and processes. They will lead the Legal & Company Secretary Team and deliver timely, high-quality and commercial legal and company secretariat services. The role-holder will ensure high standards of governance through the delivery of legal services and will play a vital role in large projects and programmes, providing insight and advisory services as appropriate. In relation to company secretariat services, they will ensure the Boards are managed in line with group policies and legal and regulatory requirements. The Head of Legal role is to advise the executive committee and senior management, and the Chairman of the Board as well as the Audit Committee and/or Risk Committee, on significant issues arising in the field of their responsibilities.
- Contribute to the development and ongoing evolution of the business strategy and ensure the Legal function participates and/or is represented accordingly.
- Shape the company's Legal strategy, ensuring alignment with its business plans.
- Lead and be accountable for the provision of appropriate services to the business, to include an emphasis on continuous improvement and development of the team.
- Coordinate closely with the Risk and Compliance team to ensure that senior management is advised of new legislation or regulation which may significantly affect the company, and also work with internal stakeholders to influence, selectively and through proper channels, legislative and regulatory proposals which may significantly affect the company's interests or operations.
- Advise the company on the risks, including litigation and regulatory intervention, of possible business decisions and offer advice on how to best manage and mitigate those risks.
- Minimise exposure to litigation, risk and associated costs.
- Provide a professional and best practice service on all legal matters which impact the business.
- Manage and participate in major change programmes.
- Provide specialist advice and guidance on relevant legal developments.
- Ensure relevant business propositions and contracts are effectively evaluated from a legal perspective and deliver timely advice to protect and promote business interests.
- Develop and maintain value-added and cost-effective relationships with external lawyers and determine when to seek external legal services to protect business interests.
- Ensure appropriate links and working relationships are established with the Risk, Compliance and Company Secretariat functions to ensure that legal risks are accurately assessed, managed and minimised.
- Report effectively on legal issues and risk exposure, and escalate actions as appropriate (e.g. under the Group Operating Manual and the Legal Risk Policy).
- Advise the business if there are customer fairness issues to be addressed, for example, unfair or unclear customer communications or when advising in relation to a customer dispute.
- The provision of effective Company Secretary services to the company, including members of the Team acting as Company Secretary for certain Boards and Committees.
- Provide excellent support to the International Business Oversight Board and its Board Committees.
- Manage the Business entities in line with company policies and legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure effective management through development and coaching of direct reports and other team members and generally help to build a motivated, professional and well organised team.
- Manage the legal and company secretariat budget effectively through careful control of expenditure, and monitor and report on variances and reasons.
- Promote the operational efficiency of the Legal & Company Secretary Teams.
Key Skills & Experience:
- Qualified Lawyer.
- Extensive experience, ideally in an in-house legal department.
- International/cross border financial services experience desirable.
Your specialist: Sally Fenton
Quote job ref: 10472
Hi, I'm Sally and this is one of the job roles I am looking after for this super business. If this job is of interest for you, please submit your CV and we will come back to you to arrange the next staging.